Streptococcus/Enterococcus PT - Drinking & Surface Water is produced in accordance with ISO/IEC 17043:2010. The PT portfolio allows our test components to offer significant performance data to monitor and prove competency to customers, accreditation bodies or both.
Supelco® is a global proficiency testing (PT) provider that manufactures best-in-class environmental and pharmaceutical PT products. Most water PT samples are available as concentrates or ready-to-use volumes giving the end-user flexibility in selecting samples that will fit their exact needs.
These samples are typically provided in duplicate for use in case of lab mishap, for QC purposes or to analyze multiple methods.
Type of PT Scheme: Water analysis - Water Supply (WS)
Matrix: Water Supply/Drinking water
Analyte/s: Values of analytes vary lot to lot.
All information regarding the use of Streptococcus/Enterococcus PT - Drinking & Surface Water proficiency testing standard can be found in the reporting packet which will be available to download at PT Portal.
Streptococcus/Enterococcus PT - Drinking & Surface Water proficiency testing material is designed to determine Streptococci/Enterococci in drinking water samples.
Have any questions? Explore our FAQs.
For more information on this product, please contact our PT Service Team.
Features and Benefits
We have a vast portfolio of environmental PT schemes with "fit-for-purpose" samples to help you meet the needs of the laboratory.
Our proficiency testing (PT) program is a benchmark to:
- provide staff with an insight into their laboratory′s performance, to verify the accuracy and reliability of their testing process
- provide a comparison of performance with that of other laboratories, nationally and internationally
- test and educate staff, provide a better understanding of the impact of incorrect results and identify areas where there may be problems
- provide an independent evaluation of laboratory performance
- demonstrate to clients, colleagues and accreditation bodies that there is a commitment to quality
Set contains 2 sterile screw cap vials each containing a Vitroid™ (a small disk containing the possible organisms) and 2 - 99mL bottles of phosphate buffer).
(Please note, buffer solution may not be provided with your sample. If this causes any concern, please contact PT Service firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- This PT sample is designed for the quantitative analysis of fecal streptococcus.
- The PT sample is provided as a stable lyophilized disk requiring hydration.
- A 100 mL of sterile hydration fluid is supplied with the PT sample. (Please note, buffer solution may not be provided with your sample. If this causes any concern, please contact PT Service email@example.com.) This is a phosphate buffer. If you are following IDEXX methods for Quanti-Tray® do not use the buffer provided and follow the directions provided with the media.
- The lyophilized sample is stable for a time exceeding the study schedule.
General Information: Due to the sensitivity of microorganisms and short holding times after hydration, please read the entire instructions prior to preparation. This sample is a single disk and the possible concentration range is quite broad, it may be necessary to analyze the sample in a dilution series. This sample may be analyzed by any method appropriate for the organism of interest.
- Allow the capped sample vial to equilibrate to room temperature.
- While the sample is equilibrating to room temperature, warm the hydrating fluid in your incubator to 35 - 37 °C.
- Once the sample is at room temperature and the hydrating fluid is warmed to 35 - 37 °C (about 30 min), open the sample vial and aseptically transfer the disk to the hydrating fluid. Shake well and place the sample in your incubator for 30 min.
Note: The Vitroid™ is the colored disk within the cryotube. It will either be on top of cotton with opaque desiccant beads below the cotton or free moving in a cryotube that contains a desiccant tablet within the cap.
- The opaque desiccant beads and desiccant tablet are to keep the container dry and are not biologicals.
- The hydration temperature of 35 - 37 °C is rigorous. Low temperature will not assure complete hydration. Higher temperatures will kill the microorganisms.
- After 30 min, remove the hydrated sample from the incubator and shake well.
- Inspect to assure dissolution of the disk. Some residue may remain. This will not affect the hydration. This dilution is your sample for analysis.
Storage and Stability
Please refer to sample label for expiration date, specific storage temperature, and specific storage conditions.
Are you new to Supelco® Proficiency TestingͰ Be sure to register your account details in the PT Portal before placing your order.
This will provide access to data entry, reporting packets and final reports. Registrations will be approved shortly after your order is placed. For further questions, write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
When placing your order online, please indicate your study preference under the ′your reference′ column. Available studies can be viewed at the bottom of the page.
Click here to learn more about Quick-Turn Studies (on-demand proficiency tests that are offered depending on lot availability). The Quick-Turn results are released within 48-72 hours whereas scheduled study reports are released within 21 days.
This PT sample is designed for the quantitative analysis of fecal streptococcus. The PT sample is provided in duplicate as a stable dehydrated Vitroid™ requiring hydration. The additional sample is provided for mishaps in the lab. Store the PT sample as directed. The dehydrated vitroid sample is stable for a time exceeding the study schedule.
Proficiency testing samples are presented as single blind. No values for the samples are released until the testing period concludes.
Proficiency Testing Schedule (2022-2023)
WS22-2 March 23 - May 6, 2022
WS22-4 September 21 - November 4, 2022
WS23-2 March 22 – May 5, 2023
WS23-4 September 20 – November 3, 2023
Quick-Turn Study (on demand proficiency testthat is offered depending on lot availability)
Quanti-Tray is a registered trademark of IDEXX Laboratories, Inc.
Supelco is a registered trademark of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany
Vitroid is a trademark of Sigma-Aldrich Co. LLC