Standard Plate Count - Water Pollution (WP) proficiency testing material is produced in accordance with ISO/IEC 17043:2010. The PT portfolio allows our test components to offer significant performance data to monitor and prove competency to customers, accreditation bodies or both.
Supelco® is a global proficiency testing (PT) provider that manufactures best-in-class environmental and pharmaceutical PT products. Most water PT samples are available as concentrates or ready-to-use volumes giving the end-user flexibility in selecting samples that will fit their exact needs. Our WP program is designed to meet the quality assurance requirements, thereby ensuring the analytical competence of your laboratory.
These samples are typically provided in duplicate for use in case of lab mishap, for QC purposes, or to analyze multiple methods.
Type of PT Scheme: Water analysis - Water Pollution (WP)
Matrix: Water Pollution/Wastewater
Analyte/s: Values of analytes vary lot to lot.
All information regarding the use of Standard Plate Count - Water Pollution (WP) proficiency testing standard can be found in the reporting packet which will be available to download at PT Portal.
Standard Plate Count - Water Pollution (WP) proficiency testing material is designed to test the colony count of heterotrophic bacteria.
Have any questions? Explore our FAQs.
For more information on this product, please contact our PT Service Team.
Features and Benefits
We have a vast portfolio of environmental PT schemes with "fit-for-purpose" samples to help you meet the needs of the laboratory.
Our proficiency testing (PT) program is a benchmark to:
- provide staff with an insight into their laboratory′s performance, to verify the accuracy and reliability of their testing process
- provide a comparison of performance with that of other laboratories, nationally and internationally
- test and educate staff, provide a better understanding of the impact of incorrect results and identify areas where there may be problems
- provide an independent evaluation of laboratory performance
- demonstrate to clients, colleagues and accreditation bodies that there is a commitment to quality
Set contains 2 sterile screw cap vials each containing a Vitroid™ (a small disk containing the possible organisms) and 2 - 99mL bottles of phosphate buffer.
(Please note, buffer solution may not be provided with your sample. If this causes any concern, please contact PT Service email@example.com.)
- The PT sample is provided in duplicate as a stable dehydrated Vitroid™ requiring hydration.
- The additional sample is provided for mishaps in the lab.
- TNI prohibits the practice of multiple tests on a PT sample unless it is normal laboratory practice and multiple analysis is conducted on a normal day-to-day samples.
- A 100 mL of sterile hydration fluid is supplied with the PT sample. (Please note, buffer solution may not be provided with your sample. If this causes any concern, please contact PT Service firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- This is a phosphate buffer.
- The dehydrated Vitroid™ sample is stable for a time exceeding the study schedule.
- Due to the sensitivity of microorganisms and short holding times after hydration, please read the entire instructions prior to preparation. You must follow these instructions exactly to ensure the viability of the lyophilized microorganisms.
- This sample is a single pellet, and the possible concentration range is quite broad, it may be necessary to analyze the sample in a dilution series.
- This sample may be analyzed by any method appropriate for heterotrophic plate count.
- Allow no more than 30 min to elapse from the completion of hydration and introduction of the sample to media.
- Allow the capped sample vial to equilibrate to room temperature.
- This may take up to an hour.
- While the sample is equilibrating to room temperature, warm the hydrating fluid in your incubator to 35 - 37 °C. This will take about 60 min. This step is not necessary but will aid the dissolution of the Vitroid™.
- If you do not have the capability to warm the hydration fluid, allow it to reach room temperature prior to starting the next step.
- The hydration fluid is sterile and may be stored at room temperature up to the expiration date listed on the bottom. Refrigeration is not necessary for the hydration fluid.
- Open the sample vial and aseptically transfer the Vitroid™ to the hydrating fluid.
NOTE: The Vitroid™ is the colored disk within the cryotube. It will either be on top of cotton with opaque desiccant beads, below the cotton or free moving in a cryotube that contains a desiccant tablet within the cap. The opaque desiccant beads and desiccant tablet are to keep the container dry and are not biologicals.
- Allow the Vitroid™ to dissolve completely. This may take up to 15 min.
- Mix by inverting gently several times, shaking may cause the cap to leak.
- This represents the sample for analysis. Incubate at the temperature required by your method. The minimum incubation time is 24 hours.
- Further incubation time may be necessary depending on the method and media. If you have questions, please contact email@example.com.
Storage and Stability
Please refer to sample label for expiration date, specific storage temperature, and specific storage conditions.
Are you new to Supelco® Proficiency TestingͰ Be sure to register your account details in the PT Portal before placing your order.
This will provide access to data entry, reporting packets and final reports. Registrations will be approved shortly after your order is placed. For further questions, write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
When placing your order online, please indicate your study preference under the ′your reference′ column. Available studies can be viewed at the bottom of the page.
Click here to learn more about Quick-Turn Studies (on-demand proficiency tests that are offered depending on lot availability). The Quick-Turn results are released within 48-72 hours whereas scheduled study reports are released within 21 days.
Proficiency testing samples are presented as single blind. No values for the samples are released until the testing period concludes.
Proficiency Testing Schedule (2022-2023)
WP22-2 March 23 - May 6, 2022
WP22-4 September 21 - November 4, 2022
WP23-2 March 22 – May 5, 2023
WP23-4 September20 – November 3, 2023
Quick-Turn Study (on demand proficiency testthat is offered depending on lot availability)
Supelco is a registered trademark of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany
Vitroid is a trademark of Sigma-Aldrich Co. LLC